MILLET-CINNAMON PORRIDGE WITH FRESH FIGS, CRANBERRIES & ROASTED NUTS
Once with millet, always with millet.
Whether you enjoy this heart-warming breakfast on a cold winter morning or in the middle of summer, it’s perfect to start the day off right! It’s not only filling, this porridge will keep you energized throughout the day and make your tummy happy and satisfied. You’ve never had millet for breakfast before? Then it’s about time to try it! Millet is one of my favorite whole grains to make porridge with. And its delicious nutty taste goes so well with cinnamon and figs!
SERVES 1 / GF, DF, VGN, RSF
FOR THE PORRIDGE
200 ml water
1 pinch of salt
4 tbsp millet
100 ml milk of choice, e.g. soy/almond/rice milk
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2-3 tsp sweetener of choice, e.g. honey
1 tbsp almond butter
2 fresh figs
1 tbsp cranberries, with no added sugar
2-3 tsp crushed pistachios
2-3 tsp crushed pecans
some sweetener of choice, e.g. honey
- Bring the water together with the salt to a boil, add the millet and cook on medium heat for about 12-14 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, stir well, turn down the heat a bit and cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Add the crushed pistachios and pecans into a frying pan, drizzle some honey on top and roast on medium heat for a couple of minutes until golden brown. Take off the heat and let it cool.
- Add another dash of milk to the porridge if desired and add into your breakfast bowl.
- Cut the figs into quarters and add it on top of the porridge together with the cranberries and roasted nuts. If you’d like, you can drizzle more honey on top.